Thursday, April 23, 2009

A call for ideas: our site once we get going

So, I've got the idea that, since those of us on the GDL are trying to help each other and work together, we'd want to publish together, too.

Eventually, once we have something to sell or offer for free and have a donation link, or whatever, I think it'll make sense to have a website for all of that that isn't just one of our blogs.

A lot of basic things that should be sufficient for most of our needs are out there, and I'm always an aspiring coder/programmer/whatever, so I'd be happy to put everything together.

That said, I'd like, ideally, a consensus on what we need. Failing that, I don't want to put stuff together in a vacuum.

I've got some ideas for server-based games that would benefit from easy registration, so I'm thinking we might want to set up OpenID stuff. While we're at it, we might as well make stuff like a forum, whatever, make those things OpenID relyers. (I don't know if any free forum software supports OpenID reliance. Again, aspiring coder here.) If we do things right, the most expensive part of the site will be the domain name, followed by, if we can get everything working with a particular hosting service (specifically, nearlyfreespeech.net), a small per-day charge for MySQL. If we can hammer out a design, and work out which services to use, I anticipate that we could run a site for under $15 a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment