Saturday, July 25, 2009

So, I kind of fell off the planet, so far as dev stuff is concerned

I've been working on other projects, but I don't want this to stagnate. So, here are some random ideas, though UP gets priority...

Something like Pokémon, but more to its roots. So, the creatures are all insects, and insect collections are Serious Business...

A Theory Of Fun made some good points about making 'female-oriented' games (should rely less on spatial reasoning, for one thing), and I think it might be interesting to apply those...

I also thought it might be interesting to look at class-based multiplayer etc etc (fill in until you get a broad description of TF2), except divided into roles that don't reflect traditional ideas of combat. What I was think was some kind of element-users setup, where I have to try really hard to avoid ripping off Read Or Die... (I've got an RPS-esque strength/weakness diagram drawn up for determining resistances and powerups for a group of five traditional-style elements—Air, Fire, Water, Metal, Wood.)

In that setup, Air would be the lightest hitter, because ammo is so plentiful. Each element would do certain types of damage... Air and Water would do suffocation, Water and Metal would bludgeon, Wood would... Wood would depend. Fire is a bit obvious, and if anybody else has suggestions...

(So far as style goes, I think it would be interesting to see rendering in an 'oriental' style, because the whole five elements (though not the traditional ones. Most lists include Earth, IIRC, but I couldn't really see how to balance that.) thing lends itself somewhat to that. Ideally, this would not come off as a ripoff of Avatar, or anything... But yeah, since this whole idea obviously lends itself to a conversion of TF2, I wonder if the rendering could be pushed that far. Note that I have zero modding experience, for the record.)

No comments:

Post a Comment